Home
Communities
Projects
Gallery
Contact Us
CV News
Links
Contribute


Communities

 
Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration 
 
Since their founding in Milwaukee in 1849 and through their relocation to Jefferson, Wisconsin, in 1864 and La Crosse in 1871, the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration have been responding to the needs of the people of God as they live out the Gospel.
  
Since their founding in Milwaukee in 1849 and through their relocation to Jefferson, Wisconsin, in 1864 and La Crosse in 1871, the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration have been responding to the needs of the people of God as they live out the Gospel.
 
Though their early focus was to educate children of German immigrants of the Catholic Church, their community has continually adapted to meet the ever-changing needs of humankind. Through efforts to educate, heal, to effect justice and peace, especially for women and children, cultivate spirituality and  promote sustainability of Mother Earth, they have remained committed to feeding the materially and spiritually hungry. 
 
Many people have come to know them through their around-the-clock prayer.  Since August 1, 1878, continuously, day and night, at least two sisters have been praying before the Blessed Sacrament, bringing to awarenss God's presence in our lives and keeping vigil for the community, the city, the Church and the world-hence the name:  Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration. 
 
                   

 
Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi
                                                                    
The Sisters of St. Francis, whose beginnings were also in Milwaukee, acquired land to build a Motherhouse in Nojoshing.  While serving in St. Francis Seminary and St. Aemilian's Orphange, the sisters also undertook teaching ministries in schools throughout the Midwest.
 
With education as a significant ministry for the Sisters, they earned academic degrees and taught at various levels from elementary to college.  Today Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee is known as the largest Franciscan University in the United States. 
 
The mission of the Congregation calls each Sister to bring healing, teaching, reconciling and liberating power of Jesus into the situations in which they live and work; to stand in solidarity with the poor and oppressed, especially women and children; to appreciate, affirm, and encourage each person to seek a full Christian quality of life. 
 
 
 
Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist 
 
In the mid 60's when religious congregations were dealing with the renewal called for by Vatican Council II, a group of Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration,
La Crosse, Wisconsin, began to express a new vision of religious life, its traditional values, and the place of these values in the world today. In the dialogue that ensued it became clear that a new divergent expression of religious life was developing. Thus, the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist were founded in 1973 by a decree of the Vatican's Sacred Congregation for Religious.
 
The Institute expresses its particular mission of service through its dedication, commitment and inner drive to restore and rebuild a sense of the Sacred found deep in humanity and deep in creation. The main thrust of the Community's work is grounded in the teaching of the Church, specifically as these teachings address the development of the human person and the protection of human life from conception through natural death.
 
The sisters apostolate finds its expression in programs of counseling, education, business, land experience, music, health care, and service to the aging, to families and children. 
 

 

 
 
Tertiary Sisters of St. Francis, Cameroon Province 
 
The Tertiary Sisters of St. Francis of Cameroon were founded in 1935 by the Tertiary Sisters of St. Francis of Brixen, Italy, and over the years have developed ministries in education, child care, parish service and medicine. They have about 270 sisters in the community, with a third working in health care. Their health care ministry sponsors two hospitals, a small nursing school and midwife training program and school for laboratory technology, a residential facility for disabled children and adults, orphanages for children whose mothers die in child birth or from HIV/AIDS, 16 village based health centers and some 60 bush country outpost clinics in Cameroon’s northwest province, and a maternal and child center located in the port city of Douala.   
 
The two hospitals serve as inpatient and outpatient primary care referral facilities receiving many patients from their16 sponsored health centers and some 60 outpost clinics that are scattered in “bush country” settings within a 1-6 hours drive time.

 
NEWS:
  
Common Venture Newsletter: read the latest edition!
 
National Catholic Reporter features the Franciscan Common Venture in Sharing the spirit of Francis and Clare

     Read more about the Franciscan Common Venture History. Click here for more info!

 

 

 

     
 
Copyright © 2005 Franciscan Common Venture